Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Memories of cooking with Dad

I had an apple turnover for afternoon tea. It was the last of a batch I made to feed people over the weekend.

They are tasty treats but they are special because they are one of the very few things my Dad taught me in the kitchen. Dad can cook well, but he is busy and Mum is a fantastic cook, so he very rarely does it. The treat when I was little though, was when he used to make apple turnovers and when I was about 12 he taught me.

I now realise this was a cunning ploy on his behalf as once trained, I made them EVERY Saturday night pretty much till I moved out of home. As I got older, even if I was going out, I would feel guilty if I didn't make them before I went.

Over the years I embellished a little. Dad used to make two giant ones and cut them up and we would all fight over the crispy corners so I started making "single serve" version and have since made mini ones for various events. They are simple to make, very tasty but more over every time I have one I think of all those Saturday nights with my Dad in the kitchen.

Lisa's Dad's Apple Turn-Overs
2 sheets puff pastry each cut into 4 squares
1 can pie apples
caster sugar, about 5 tablespoons but depends how sweet you like it
cinnamon, however much you like
a small handful of sultanas

Mash together pie apples, sugar, cinnamon and sultanas.

Divide between squares of puff pastry (there is usually a bit too much apple for the pastry, eat some cold!). Fold over into a triangle and seal the edges and poke a couple of steam holes in the top with a fork.

Place on greased baking tray, brush with melted butter, sprinkle with caster sugar.

Bake at about 180-200 degrees until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

You can make mini ones by cutting the pastry into 9 squares. You will get three sheets of pastry out of one can when making mini ones.

They are great hot or cold so make some and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment