Thursday, June 24, 2010

Our new PM - Julia Gillard

Today we have our first female PM. No matter your side of politics, if you liked Rudd, like Gillard, agree or don't agree with the challenge or just don't care about it at all, I think it is an incredibly significant day, and one that I have to admit I didn't think I would see so soon.

I've liked Julia Gillard for a long time. I have been so cross when she was called "deliberately barren", criticised for her empty fruit bowl or had her hair scrutinised. She is obviously an intelligent, determined woman who I think has been doing a great job. It probably helps that we share a passion, which is the opportunity for every child to receive access to the same high quality level of education. I really believe that no child in a country like ours should be stopped from reaching their full potential because they don't have access to education, and I know that it is a view I share with Julia.

Earlier today Peter Beattie made the comment that right now we have two female premiers, a female Governor-General and a female PM. Given that women make up more than 50% of the population, it is about time too!

So yay for finally reaching this momentous point. I'm hoping (in vain I know) that people will focus on her policies not her hair and clothes but I am a happy camper today.

No comments:

Post a Comment