Monday, November 1, 2010

Lucky black pants

Skirts have been very much on my mind as the last few days of Frocktober drew to a close. I love a swishy skirt, but you know what they say, you can have too much of a good thing.

So today as November arrived, my old faithful black pants (trousers for my UK readers) made a triumphant return! It is a windy day and I could walk along a main road not wondering if the world was getting a view of my underwear. I happily crawled under a desk to fix a cable and generally just spent the day enjoying the freedom.

It makes me endlessly grateful to be living in an age where our clothing choices are just that, a true choice. As a young woman my grandmother went to a fancy dress party as a man, wearing a suit with pants (!!!) and a drawn on moustache and was thought of as very daring. Yes we still have social conventions that relate to clothes, but compared to other times and even today in other countries, we are extremely lucky.

So today I have reveled in the freedom - who knew what joy a pair of black pants could bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment