Thursday, November 25, 2010

A much heralded cuppa

I have been caffeine free for a couple of weeks - and not by choice. I was on some naturopathic medication that gets affected by caffeine, any caffeine. So that means no tea, no chocolate and definitely no coke.

I can cope without coke and can even get by without chocolate (although it is harder), but life without tea is just miserable. I try to substitute with rooibos but it just isn't the same.

Last year I travelled South America for a couple of months and a proper cup of tea with real milk was just not available. Our flight home stopped over in Auckland and there I sat down with my first cup of Twinings English Breakfast tea with fresh milk in 7 weeks. It was so good I quite literally shed a tear. Now it may be that I hadn't slept properly in many hours, but I prefer to think that the emotion was caused by the wonder of that perfect cup of tea.

So imagine my joy at finishing the medication. Carefully making the perfect cup, inhaling the delicious smell and taking that first, delicious, warming, senses reviving sip. I think it is true, absence does make the heart grow fonder.

2 comments:

  1. I too love a good cup of tea. Especially Twinings!
    I have cut down caffeine in my diet and 2 of the first things to go was coffee and tea.
    But I have changed to decaf tea... The Clippers Organic Decaf tea is really nice. A friend of mine is the same, but she buys the Bushells one. And when she goes to England or her friends or family come here they bring her over the English one which is the best by far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know this feeling well. I used to drink a lot of coffee, but I actually find as I get older that I enjoy tea more. There's something about a long-awaited cup of tea that makes that first sip just pure bliss! Pity it is terrible for staining my teeth :(

    Oh, and I only drink Twinings... EB first thing, Irish Breakfast later on, and Afternoon Tea in the arvos :)

    ReplyDelete