Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lebkuchen

Let me tell you about the wonder that is lebkuchen. Lebkuchen (literally life cake) is German gingerbread. Rid your mind of any thought of English biscuit like gingerbread (not that it isn't great too, just different), lebkuchen is a fluffy, highly spiced cake. It is made into biscuit sized pieces in various shapes - most often hearts - and coated in chocolate. There are also filled versions with jam centres.

Lebkuchen, like stollen, is a German Christmas staple. My grandparents lived at a German retirement village and they had a little shop that sold specialties like it. Since they died we have occasionally found it at specialty delicatessens, but a week or so ago, Mum discovered it in all sorts of forms at Aldi. Now it probably isn't surprising that the German mega store stocks this fantastic German treat, but I went a little nuts and bought heaps.

I brought some into work, where with mouths full people have berated me for making them eat so much yummy food, but I've also kept myself a decent stash! I'm being good, limiting myself to only one (or two, maximum three) pieces at a time, but it is hard, lebkuchen really is that delicious.

Oh I just love these special treats that you can only get at a certain time of the year. I'm sure the fact that in my mind lebkuchen is tied to Christmas is part of what makes it so delectable. Bring on the Christmas treats I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment