Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Playing games

Before I met S I hadn't played board games in years.  Board games, I would have said, are just for kids.

S loves board and card games though, so when we started dating I found myself playing them and to my absolute surprise, I found I actually enjoy it.  There are so many interesting games and while I'm really not competitive and don't care if I lose at all (although it is always nice to win) I like all the strategic thinking you need for them.

I have also been introduced to the amazing underground world of board gamers.  They meet up in clubs and restaurants toting massive bags of games and are quite serious in their enjoyment.  Who are these mysterious gamers you may ask?  Before my introduction I had the image that you probably do right now of socially awkward, geeky types. But they are just normal people who enjoy the escapism of a game.  It is much more interactive than a couple of hours in front of the telly and requires a whole lot more serious thought.

I can't imagine that I will ever be truly addicted to gaming, but it is one of those things where you realise that there are whole other worlds hidden right under our noses.

1 comment:

  1. my boyfriend does this and i've been a few times. it's actually really social and great fun! I'd rather he did that than spend hours playing computer games, which is what he used to do.

    ReplyDelete