Monday, January 23, 2012

Book Review: The Hunger Games

When I was a kid and a teenager I was a compulsive reader.  I was rarely found without a book in my hand and I would get completely absorbed in them, reading long into the night when I was supposed to be asleep.  Reading till I got headaches from not looking up.  Reading till I drove my sister nuts because I was so engrossed I had failed to listen to what she was saying.  Reading on the bus, at lunch, under my desk in class.

These days it is rare for me to be so absorbed in a book.  Partly it is just that I don't have the same time available, but also I think it is that recently I've been reading a lot of literature that requires slow, careful reading and absorption of the prose.  Between literature I've read the kind of chic lit that while entertaining, is easy to dip into then put down for a few days.

However at Christmas S's parents gave me "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.  For the first time in a long time I was so compelled to read that I stayed up too late, read on my lunchtime, in fact even read a bit at the traffic lights and sneakily under my desk at work.  The day after I lent my Mum the first copy I rang her and she mentioned she was tired because she hadn't gone to sleep till 1am.  Why - because she hadn't been able to put the book down (she stayed up till 3.15am to finish the third book!).

There are plenty of synopsis's of "The Hunger Games" on the internet, but in short the trilogy follows Katniss Evergreen as she is reaped into a grotesque form of gladiatorial battle where the tributes of the 12 districts in Panem (a post-present day USA) kill each other for the sport of the citizens of the capital.  It really is like a story of ancient Rome brought into a future where the earth has been irreparably damaged and countries re-formed.  Katniss's role in the games and what happens after is truly compulsive reading.

"The Hunger Games" is marketed as young adult fiction, but I think pretty much anyone over 12 would enjoy it.  The first movie is due out this year and I can guarantee my Mum and I will be queing up to see it.  If you were a fan of the "Tomorrow When the War Began" series, I'm pretty sure you would love "The Hunger Games."

8 comments:

  1. I have heard of this book but wondered if the theoretical 'young adult' tag would make it a bit too young. I see that is clearly not the case! I'm now really excited to look it up. As a fellow bookworm, those books that get under your skin and are hard to be put down are thrilling finds and, I think, are well worth the sleepless nights :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not Kari. I think the tag comes more from the fact that most of the characters are teenagers, and I'm sure teenagers would enjoy the book. But all the adults I know who have read it have loved it too.

      Delete
  2. Yay!!! Another Hunger Games fan.

    I'm counting down until March 23....


    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited SSG. I'm really pleased I found the series when all three books were out (waiting for them must have been torture) and with the movie underway. I am wondering how much of the action they will show, some of it was fairly grim.

      Delete
  3. I am a huge fan too! I am hanging out to see the movie, I only hope it lives up to the anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Aneets. I always worry about seeing movie adaptations of books I love. But Suzanne Collins wrote such great descriptions I think they have a lot to work with.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I used to be that way as a kid too! Took a book with me everywhere, reread voraciously, read under the covers at night... I miss being so swept away by a book. Last time for me, I think, was with The Book Thief. Glad you've experienced the delight again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know The Book Thief would probably be the last one before the Hunger Games for me too. I can't wait till Markus Zusak finally finishes his next book.

      Delete