Wednesday, April 25, 2012

ANZAC Day


Today is ANZAC day, a day to remember all those who have served our country in the military, particularly those who gave their lives.

For me, ANZAC day is about remembering sacrifice, but it is mostly about a hopeful prayer that the generations to come do not need to live in the fear that their loved ones will be lost to war.  It may be a futile prayer, but I continue to make it and to hold out hope that humans, all around the world, will find a way to live as one people, diverse in our beliefs, cultures and traditions, but singular in our respect of the lives around us.

And while we work to that epiphany I will keep making ANZAC biscuits - after all some good can come from war.

ANZAC Biscuits
(from the Australian Woman's Weekly Old Fashioned Favourites Cookbook)
Makes about 25

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
125g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Preheat oven to 160oC.  Grease oven trays and line with baking paper.

Combine oats, flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl.

Combine butter, golden syrup and water in a small saucepan, stir over a low heat until smooth, stir in bicarb soda.  Mix into the dry ingredients

Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls, place about 5cm apart on trays, flatten slightly.  Bake about 20 minutes, cool on trays.

I really like golden syrup, so I tend to add an extra tablespoon and reduce the brown sugar a bit.  I also only bake for 15-17 minutes because I like them more chewy!

How are you celebrating ANZAC day?

2 comments:

  1. I want to say Amen to all of the above, but given I'm not religious that isn't quite the right word. Hopefully it will convey my meaning though. These biscuits look great, too...I like them chewy too, so your low baking time sounds just right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know what you mean! Sometimes I think we just have to use a word for its common meaning. Hope you had a great ANZAC day Kari.

      Delete