Friday, April 27, 2012

Gratitude for the small things


It seemed extra dark this morning when I woke for my walk and sure enough when I stepped outside I discovered that it was because a thick fog was blanketing the city.  Other than the terrible frizzy things it does to my hair, I adore walking in the fog.  Somehow the world seems quieter, more calm.  The air is cold but refreshing on my face and the scenery is gorgeously mysterious in soft focus.

As I drove to work the fog was starting to break up, turning into a golden haze and where the sun had made its way right through, beams of light were causing the moisture on the grass to sparkle like a million diamonds.

But being the driver of a silver car, I most definitely had my headlights on (in fact everyone driving in fog should have their headlights on - their proper headlights, not just those silly parking lights - but that is a rant for another day).  By the time I got to work the fog was forming a ceiling above me, but the road was quite clear so I had almost forgotten about my headlights.  Luckily for me, my car is one of those that beeps at you if you leave them on so there will be no flat battery at the end of the day.

I felt completely grateful to whoever first thought of putting in that headlight alarm.  It has saved me numerous times.  Some days it is just the little things that make my day.

4 comments:

  1. I am also very grateful for a car that beeps at me - or actually just turns the headlights off, if I turn it to 'auto' mode! I'd be hopeless otherwise. When we drove up north to Exmouth, I also realised how much difference it makes having headights on even in the day. People don't seem to do it in cities in Australia but I think it's common elsewhere...it would be a sensible thing I think.

    Sparkling grass sounds pretty brilliant too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drives me nuts when people don't turn them on in the fog! But yes, I'm so grateful for the beeping. On really foggy mornings the radio announcers here often say "put on your lights, and don't forget to turn them off".

      Delete
  2. gratitude for the small things, I love it :) I keep saying it, I know, but I adore walking in the chilly mornings. Haven't had fog for a while though!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having a heap of foggy mornings at the moment. I love them so much, although it is always nicer when they clear by mid morning for a lovely sunny day. Really winter in Canberra is far nicer than most people think.

      Delete