Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Holiday Traditions - Part 3

I hope everyone had a gorgeous Easter long weekend.  As predicted mine was spent with my family, relaxing and eating.  Oh, how we ate and ate.  We ate so much that on Sunday night Mum announced we had run out of food (a slight exaggeration) and I replied it was ok because I was so full I was perfectly happy to have only an apple for dinner.


There were cakes and sweets aplenty.  My favourite cake of all time, the Austrian guglhupf, a strawberry topped frangipane tart from The Flute, an amazing bread and butter pudding made with brioche.



Breakfasts were leisurely affairs that included hot cross buns (of course), croissants and my legendary brioche french toast with maple syrup pears (recipe to come later in the week).


There were smorgasbords for lunch and delicious dinners including herb crumbed fish and Greek inspired slow roasted lamb.  I think it is safe to say that we ate well and ate often.  Luckily the weather was mostly gorgeous so we could take long walks to help cope with the calorie intake.


Somehow we ended up with quite a Greek theme for the weekend.  Mum decided that along with our Greek themed roast lamb dinner (from this month's Women's Weekly and it was delicious), we should try the Greek game of cracking eggs together which had been dyed red.  The person's egg which doesn't crack gets extra luck for the year ahead.


We knew the basics, but not really the actual rules, so there might have been some creative interpretations.  For example I don't think throwing the eggs off the balcony at the end is usually part of the game.  It was however, very funny.

All in all it was a divine weekend and I've emerged the other side feeling happy, relaxed and slightly fatter.

9 comments:

  1. Yum yum! All looks delicious! Sounds like a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great weekend. Hope you had a lovely Easter too Cat.

      Delete
  2. I am drooling! What divine food.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SSG I'm still so full I'm considering not eating dinner again tonight! But it was fab.

      Delete
  3. Mmmm, what a weekend you had! Beautiful food by the sound - and pictures - of it. I like the thought of herb crumbed fish too, I must try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother-in-law made it. He used panko and dill. But I also love panko, parsley and lemon zest as a fish crumb. I wish I had taken pictures of more, but it was all so delicious I just launched on in without any thought of posterity.

      Delete
  4. It's true. I ate so much this Easter, I don't even know how I didn't explode.
    Everything here looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious Cathleen. At least one recipe will be up later this week.

      Delete
  5. A gorgeous weekend! Love that egg cracking business & your creative interpretations too - making your own traditions ;) We had Greek style lamb too. It seems to be the go.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete