Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Winter is Here


Our dog Bella used to wander along and then suddenly flop down. We always said it was like she thought " I want to sit down ... NOW".  Sure most of the time she would do the usual dog sniffing inspection before seating herself but other times, almost mid-stride, she would decide that now was the moment to be seated.

Winter arrived like that this year.  One day I'm walking along the beach in a t-shirt and shorts, splashing in the water, the next I'm reaching for the winter doona and turning the heating on.  And I'm not being in any way metaphorical.  It was warm and sunny on Sunday, it snowed on Monday.

The cold arrived so fast that it caught us by surprise.  S and I ended up wearing a strange assortment of clothes as we each kept adding layers while we tried to figure out the weather.  Somehow it didn't occur to us to turn on the heating, instead shocking each other when we touched freezing noses and hands.  You see in Canberra the rule of thumb is that you don't switch the heating on before ANZAC day, I lasted one cold day before I caved and flicked the switch to the wonder of a warm house.

However I didn't even last one day before I swapped out our lightweight summer doona replacing it with the thick, snuggly, winter one.  Bedding is one of the few areas where we do not agree.  You see I'm a doona girl.  I love the freedom, the loose, light, fluffy, yet warm feeling of a doona.  S prefers layers of blankets, heavy and thick, he likes the solid feeling and the ability to peel one layer back at a time to get to the perfect temperature.  We have compromised on a doona with a sheet and extra blankets at the end of the bed, however, I suspect I won that compromise.  Still even S had to admit, as the temperature dropped, being cocooned in the soft, fluffy layers of our bed was just gorgeous.

Are you a doona or a blanket person?  And did winter catch you as much by surprise as it caught us?

9 comments:

  1. Monday was unbelievably, bitterly cold! Yesterday and today not much better but then, here in Melbourne at least, we will be back up to mid-20s and sunny again by the end of the week! It's ridiculous ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be sunny and 20s here on the weekend too. Although the cold nights seem to be here to stay so I will be very grateful for the snuggly doona!

      Delete
  2. The weather is just crazy!

    Melbourne weather is always unpredictable, but it's been bordering on ridiculous lately. Monday at the footy, one minute I was being soaked by rain, the next I had my sunnies out, then the following moment I'm reaching for my poncho at the same time my sunnies are being dotted by rain!

    It just can't make up its mind this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can Melbourne weather ever make up its mind? ;P

      I agree, it is just crazy. I brought in my slippers to work today because yesterday my feet got so cold.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh I'm loving the new crisp, bitter feeling of winter. I LOVE the cold. I'm definitely a layer-upon-layer of blankets kinda girl, but J is all for one heavy doona (he's also from Canberra so I think it stems from that?)

    I'm putting my flannel sheets on my bed tonight, yay. SO happy it's winter. I just hate the wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally like the cold weather Michaela, it just arrived so suddenly it feels like I haven't had a chance to acclimatise. And I agree, the wind is the worst. Winter in Canberra is generally gorgeous clear blue skies and quite warm sun, so it is very pleasant if the damn wind stays away.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! It's definitely not over here yet! 34'C yesterday and 31'C today...I'd quite like a bit of frost, but granted not so suddenly.

    I'm definitely a quilt / doona sort of person. I love the weight of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari it seems that the west coast hogged all of summer this year! If you can send some of that heat this way I don't think anyone would mind some Indian summer weather.

      Delete