Thursday, May 24, 2012

Boeuf bourguignon pie

On the weekend I made a big pot of Boeuf Bourguingnon.  It is one of those meals that is worth making a lot of because it is best after hours of slow cooking.  The rich flavours are just perfect for these cold nights, but last night I decided to mix things up a bit and turn it into a pie.

The result was delicious - but not photogenic.  In future I will take the meat and vegies out of the gravy as my pie was too wet and the result was more a delicious plate of slop rather than a distinct piece of pie.  Still it was a very worthwhile experiment.

To make the pie I lined a pie dish with shortcrust pastry (I think Maggie Beer's sour cream pastry would be phenomenal for this but it wasn't happening after a long day at work) and blind baked it.  I filled the shell with the cold boeuf bourguignon and topped it with potato and jerusalem artichoke mash, then baked the pie at 180 degrees for about 45 minutes.

It was pure comfort food and it has me thinking about pies in general.  I think the season of the pie could be upon us!

6 comments:

  1. I make many things that aren't photogenic. And some that are photogenic but I forget to photograph. It's challenging! I'm glad you had a good meal at least :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a challenge! I wish I'd photographed last night's yeeros, but alas I was distracted by Eurovision.

      Delete
  2. That sounds beautiful, even if the actual dish isn't photogenic! And perfect for the weather today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for this awful weather! Seriously, how is it not even winter but minus already?!

    Particularly thrilled by the thought of potato and jerusalem artichoke mash :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really lucky to score a free bag of jerusalem artichokes Hannah. And I do love them in mash like that, just cook exactly as normal but so very tasty.

      Delete