Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Canberra - Why -5 degree isn't as bad as it sounds


I can just imagine all around Australia tonight there will be people watching the weather and thinking "thank god I don't live in Canberra".  And I can understand.  On paper a temperature range of -5 to 15 degrees celsius doesn't look good.  But here is the reality.  -5 means that you have had a clear night with the biggest most sparkly stars and when you spend it snuggled under a thick doona with a loved one it is delicious.  And 15 on a day like today means bright blue skies, warm sun, no wind, it is invigorating and beautiful to wander about in.  Add in a city coloured red, orange and gold with autumn clothes and you have a stunning day.

Yes you have to dress appropriately - the perfect excuse for accessorising with boots and scarves - but I can say that days like today really are gorgeous and one of the reasons why I love living in this city.

7 comments:

  1. Coming from Canberra (now living in Brisbane and have been here for about 11 yrs) I do miss the 4 seasons.. In Brisbane you don't get the changes of the seasons like you do down in Canberra...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would miss the seasons so much Jodes! Although give me a month or so and I will be craving some warmer temperatures.

      Delete
  2. Mr TPS lived in Canberra for 6 months (over winter) in 2010 & I really loved being down there in that weather for all the reasons you just mentioned x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous TPS. S's aunt and uncle are visiting from Adelaide at the moment and they can't get over how gorgeous the weather is.

      Delete
  3. I feel sorry for you when the weather forecast is -5 to 10'C and rainy :) I think sunny days with cool weather are pretty special - as you say, if you dress appropriately. That was one of the things I loved in Tasmania last year, the cool, crisp but clear days. The grey, wet, windy ones not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily rain usually equals warmer temperatures, the worst is when we get a massive fog that hangs around for a long time. Still it is always an excuse for extra snuggly socks and a glass of red wine!

      Delete
  4. Yes you chilly peeps up in Canberra, I often feel for you! But you're right, you just need to be prepared! & it can be rather lovely :)

    ReplyDelete