Monday, September 10, 2012

Carrot Cake Day


On Saturday I got up at an indecently early hour to return a favour for the chief architect of my built by friends pergola, by handing out how to vote cards for his Mum who was running in the local council elections.

At what was quite literally the crack of dawn I rugged myself up and headed out into the country to a small local church whose hall had been turned into a polling station for the day.  When the sun shone and the wind dropped, it was actually quite nice standing out there, but for the other 95% of the time I was very glad of my thermals, parka and gloves.


Over the course of the morning it became clear that there were two pressing concerns for the electorate, who was going to fix the local roads and where on earth was the sausage sizzle.  Not being a local myself, the second of these issues was of most concern for me.  After all, what is an election day without a fundraising sausage sandwich?

Luckily at around 10am, a team of what appeared to be crack sausage sizzle operators turned up to set up the stall which they did in world record time.  Not only did they have the usual sausages in white bread with onion and tomato sauce, this was a full fundraising stall with hand knitted goodies and loads of cakes that would have made the CWA (Country Women's Association for those not from Australia) proud.


My shift went till 11, but before I dashed home to change for a wedding, I happily gobbled up a sausage sanga and bought a carrot cake.  I love carrot cake, it is definitely in my top 5 cakes, maybe even in the top 3 depending on my mood, so I was very happy to get it home and enjoy a slice with a hot cup of tea before frocking up for the wedding.

Little was I to know but that would not be the last carrot cake of the day.  After the very romantic ceremony and lovely reception, the wedding cake was served.  It was, you guessed it, carrot cake!


You can never be quite sure what a day will bring, but a day that brings me this much carrot cake is a good day by any measure.

4 comments:

  1. Oh sausage sizzles! That smell always means either 1. The outside of Bunnings, 2. fundraising for the SRC in high school, or 3. election day to me!

    (Cake is far better.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, Bunnings sausages. They make for a perfect Saturday morning tea! Personally given the choice between sausage sandwiches and cake, I choose both.

      Delete
  2. Yay for carrot cake as a wedding cake! My bff had that and it was DIVINE. I had two slices. wanted more.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely more into carrot cake than sausage sizzles so am glad you managed to have both :)

    ReplyDelete