Sunday, September 23, 2012

Floriade


One of the joys of living in Canberra is the seasons.  We get all four in all their glory (well except for last year when summer forgot to arrive).  Hot green days of summer, the golden trees of autumn, icy winter many times complete with snow and the brilliant flowers of spring.


There is no place better to experience the colour and scent of spring than Canberra's annual flower festival, Floriade. Each year has a theme, this year it is style and design but the themes never mean too much to me, I go for the glorious display of over a million flowers in bloom.


Of course like any festival there is the side show.  Stalls selling everything from hamocks to jam, soap to tea and everything in between.  There are performers, rides, bands and entertainment and of course the gnome knoll.  One of these years I might even manage to get to Nightfest, the 5 nights Floriade is lit beautifully and open for an evening of entertainment.





But all of that is just a side show.  Floriade is about the flowers.  True to my girly girl nature I adore flowers, so this is just heaven for me.  Today was a stunning spring day.  Clear blue sky, warm sun, a light breeze.  I wore a dress and a short sleeved cardigan and at times felt a little hot in the sun.  We wandered pausing to admire blooms or stop getting in people's photos.  The park was full of families, tourists and cameras everywhere.  It was absolute heaven.










If you love flowers and have the opportunity, I highly recommend a visit to Canberra at this time of year.  It is just stunning.

6 comments:

  1. I don't understand how it's already Floriade time again!! Where are the years going?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year is definitely on fast forward. It is October next week. Eeek!

      Delete
  2. SPRING! Those flowers are gorgeous. The colours, oh the COLOURS! Makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me happy, and now I'm happy that it is making you happy Cat. Flowers bring happiness all round.

      Delete
  3. What gorgeous pictures - truly stunning flowers. It looks like you have Spring in full force and it is a magnificent force to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a divine spring here Kari. I'm not sure if it was just that winter was so very long and cold but it does seem to be one of the loveliest springs I can remember.

      Delete