Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Melbourne Cup in the office


I work in a small office.  Add in that people regularly travel for conferences or client meetings and others have the opportunity to work from home, it becomes a very small office.  As a result there isn't the opportunity to do the usual Melbourne Cup office activities.  For a hilarious insight into what the Melbourne Cup in a non Victorian city looks like, read this post.

I am also usually the only girl in the office, so there is no-one else interested in getting dressed up for a random day at work.  Essentially Melbourne Cup day is just like any other normal day - except for me.  You see I'm not going to let the office's lack of enthusiasm for a horse race get me down because Melbourne Cup day offers me a rare opportunity to wear something unusual on my head and that is not something to be taken lightly.

On the first Tuesday in November every year I put on a pretty dress and slide a feathery, ribbony confection in my hair.  I don't care that I look a bit out of place.  Well not really but when I saw another woman in the building with a similar of type headwear I did feel a little relieved.  I happen to own several such items and it would be a pity not to wear them when the timing allowed.

So here I am.  On the day of the race which stops the nation (other than my office) I am working away but looking very fetching with my magenta fascinator and flowery dress. Every time I catch sight of myself it makes me smile, yes I look somewhat ridiculous, but what is life without a little ridiculousness every now and then.

Do you have any Melbourne Cup day traditions?  If you are not from Australia what do you think about our obsession with a horse race?

9 comments:

  1. Go you, I love that you do this! Hope it's been an ace day. I feel guilty for not getting into the spirit, but I totally LOVE the day off ;)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For awhile Canberra had a public holiday on Melbourne Cup Day as well and I always missed the office shenanigans. Glad you had a lovely day off.

      Delete
  2. My workplaces show the race, and generally have some optional lunch afterwards, but I find it hard to get too enthusiastic if I'm honest. I think if I worked with a close knit group and we all got dressed up it might be different, but I don't, and I also kind of dislike the concept of horse racing. I suspect living in Melbourne would be a completely different experience to being in Perth too!

    With all of that said, I'm glad you managed to take a snippet of the festivities into your workplace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes such a difference depending on your workplace. My first workplace made a huge fuss and it was always an awesome day so I guess I'm trying to relive that. Funny thing was that it took one of the guys half a day to even notice my giant pink fascinator!

      Delete
  3. I love Melbourne Cup Day in the office! When else do you get to wear a fascinator, or even better a hat, without people looking at you like you're putting on airs and graces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm not missing my opportunity to wear feathers and ribbon. Now we just need to come up with a reason for me to wear my full on tiara (odd Vietnam souvenir) to work.

      Delete
  4. That is a GORGEOUS fascinator. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually got it as a bridesmaid. The bride figured everyone looks at the back of the bridesmaids for most of the ceremony so they might as well have something nice to look at.

      Delete
  5. Always a good excuse to dress up! Love that you embrace it.

    Being a Melbournian I should have, but we just had a very domestic day this year!

    ReplyDelete