Friday, February 27, 2015

Review: Coles Fruit Hot Cross Buns


Time for hot cross bun review number 2! Continuing on with supermarket stock, I picked up a 6 pack of Coles Fruit Hot Cross Buns.

The buns were a dark brown colour with a nice shiny glaze and are clearly popular as I bought the second last pack. We had them for dessert, lightly heated, just butter for me, butter and strawberry jam for S.


So onto the review...

Let's start with the man's perspective. S thought the texture was better than the Aldi buns, but that the spice and fruit was on par. Another solid 7/10.

For my review, I agree with S, they had a nice light fluffy texture and really juicy fruit. Like the Aldi buns the fruit is limited to raisins, sultanas and currents. But while they smelt really good, on tasting I thought there was something off about the balance of spices with a slight bitter note. For me they weren't quite as good as the Aldi buns, 6/10. 

Stay tuned for the next exciting installment of hot cross bun taste off.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the review! These very buns are on the kitchen bench waiting for me to attack them this weekend.... Did I really say that? Don't tell anyone I'm starting on them so early.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete